This is a Toronto based inline skating and roller skating group exclusively for females.
We host a variety of events for female skaters of all levels, including beginner friendly fixed location events for skills practice, trail events, and some street skating.
- Steaming from the Toronto rollerblade inline skater group (Meetup-Re_Meetup_Bladers_group_problem.pdf), the skater known as speedy wanted to create a group to provide a more adequate skating experience for females but due to low female attendance on skating events, the process took time.
- From the old inline skating group with 400 skaters many females were surveyed. Most never replied.
- Two regular female skaters that skate with the Toronto bladers were approached. Hannah being one.
- Hannah is invited to the Toronto bladers private bladers chat
- Monday, August 10, 2020 Chicks on a roll: Ladies inline skating session was organized and hosted by Hannah with 4 skaters out of 9 going out to skate.
- Sunday, August 16, 2020 Chicks on a roll: Ladies Skate Night was hosted by Hannah with 3 skaters out of 12 going out to skate.
- Hannah creates a whatsapp female only private skater chat to support the group on kommunity
- Wednesday, April 7, 2021 Girls just wanna have fun! (online meet and greet) was attended with 6 skaters out of 11.
- Hannah tells the Toronto bladers on the bladers chat the intention of female only events and is invited by speedy to the kommunity platform to start an only female skating group called rollerbabes and through a mailing list, advertises the group to 245 known female inline skaters.
- Sun, Aug 22 2021, 3:00 PM the rollerbabes first event is published to join the bladers day. One of 9 skaters went.
- During 2021, 9 female skaters were part of the rollerbabes on kommunity.
Early 2022, is it concluded that the Toronto rollerblade inline skater group is not conducive to the proliferation of skating events as intended. (Meetup-Re_Meetup_Bladers_group_problem.pdf)
Tuesday, April 12, 2022 Pre-Season Meet & Skate! first event is published
- Speedy offers to support and maintain the rollerbabes on meetup for Hannah to manage as she sees fit and invites females skaters to join in and
- Speedy ensures support for 1 to 2 years provided there is successful activity
- By 27 of March 2020, the group reaches 19 members most of who were individually contacted by speedy, have joined.
By June 23 th, the group reached 33 female members and only 3 events had been organized. Two of which without attendance and the first one with 5 skaters therefore a decision was made to reach out to other female skaters in order to find more female organizers and Tammy was one.
- Tammy (from Mississauga) was made assistant organizer or the rollerbabes on Thu Jun 23 12:10 PM EDT 2022 with plans to organize events a couple times a month.
- Laura (from Mississauga) was made assistant organizer or the rollerbabes on Mon Jul 18 02:36:49 PM EDT 2022.
Termination of support
Who are we and what do we do
We're 'babes' who roll! We inline skate and roller skate all through the city :)
- Trail skating
- Artistic skating
- Urban skating
- Outdoor ice rinks (summer)
- Bike & recreational trails
- City streets
Event Style trail & urban location
Events will begin with a short (~5 min) "meet and greet" and then we skate! Please be prompt as to not risk missing the event.
Event Style fixed location
Events will begin with a "meet and greet" and then we skate! Feel free to bring cones, chalk, a speaker.. etc.
Member Requirements and Courtesies
- Members must be 18 +
- Please ensure the event you've signed up for is appropriate for your (and your guests) skill level. All levels are welcome at fixed location events.
- Please be on time for events
- You are responsible for your own protection. Helmets and wrist guards are strongly recommended, and wear the necessary protection for the activity and your skill level (knee pads, elbow pads, hip protectors etc...)
- Pets (dogs or others) are not allowed
- As this is a women's group male guests are not permitted
- No politics and or activism
- The Rollerbabes are independently managed by Hannah and all matters should be addressed directly with her.
- Some Toronto bladers events such as the bladers day may get both the Rollerbabes joining in too.